With Mike Brey retiring at the end of the season, the coaching carousel rumors are off to an early start.
It’ll take some time to sort things out of course. First we have to see what happens with Texas and if John Calipari ends up there, then what happens with Kentucky. And who knows what else will happen by the end of the season.
But you can put together some reasonable candidates for Notre Dame. Here are some names to keep in mind. Of course they’ll have to deal with local columnist Tom Noie, who has been highly critical of Brey for quite some time now and will surely, eventually, be unkind to whoever follows him. That said, here’s a decent short list:
- Chris Holtmann. Ohio State is having a tough streak. So what? The guy is a really good coach. Ohio State fans are making a mistake. He’d be great in South Bend and he wouldn’t have people acting like Notre Dame is Kentucky either.
- Pat Kelsey. He’s on a 19-game winning streak at Charleston. Someone is going to hire him. Plus he’s from the Midwest. He’d be a good fit.
- Ben McCollum. You knew this was coming. Look, the guy has four national championships at D-II Northwest Missouri State and he’s lost five games – just five! -since 2017-18. And he’s just 41! Someone has to take the chance on hiring him for a major job and they’ll probably be glad they did.
- Steve Wojciechowski. Currently out of the game, Wojo is a fiery coach, he knows the ACC and also how to coach and recruit at an elite university. Plus he wouldn’t cost too much. And he’s Catholic, which can’t hurt at Notre Dame.
- Rick Pitino. Just kidding. We can’t imagine the nation’s premier Catholic university hiring someone with such a history of personal malfeasance. He’d certainly win, but only an idiot would gamble Notre Dame’s reputation with him. Plus he’s getting up there. On the other hand, he’s also a Catholic, so there’s that.
- Might as well toss in little Ricky Jr. too. He’s having a moment at New Mexico.
- John Beilein. He’d win too, but he’s 70 now and not a long-term hire either.
- Danny Hurley. Another excellent coach and also an Irish Catholic.
- Bobby Hurley. Cut and paste the above.